The Borough of Franklin Lakes ordered its first fire engine on November 5, 1925. The contract specified that the truck would be built and shipped within about 60 working days.
It is a 1926 Seagrave 350 GPM Pumper, Chemical Truck and hose car. “Model -6-BT-Special-Suburbanite Combination Pumping-Engine, Chemical and Hose Car”. Equipped with Two 35 gallon chemical tanks and a basket holding 200 feet of the best quality ¾” chemical hose.
It is equipped with a 6 cylinder, 70 brake horse power engine and a 3 speed transmission. The purchase price was $6900.
Some special equipment delivered with the truck was:
Detroit door opener
Motometer on radiator
Buckeye exhaust whistle
2 Kerosene Lanterns in regulation holders
9” Revolving searchlight on dash
It was repainted in 1949 for $250 and remained in active service for 40 years until the mid 1960’s.
The Fire Department purchased the truck from the Borough and completely restored it in the early 1970’s in time for our 50th Anniversary. Although the truck is now over 90 years old, it is maintained in an “as new” condition by members of the Department.
Model -6-BT-Special-Suburbanite Combination Pumping-Engine, Chemical and Hose Car” 350 GPM Pumper,
Equipped with two 35 gallon chemical tanks and a basket holding 200 feet of ¾” chemical hose.
Purchase price = $6900 Repainted in 1949 for $250.
Completely restored in 1974.